Thursday, July 22, 2010

Interview with Michael Carini

Check this interview with Michael Carini who had his show at Thumbprint Gallery in April in North Park. You can check out some of his work as well as other artists at our online shop.

Thumbprint Gallery:
When did you first realize you are an artist?

Michael Carini:
I can’t say that there was a single defining moment. It was more of an evolutionary process.

TPG:
Could you tell us some more about your work?

MC:
I’ll keep this pretty vague so you can derive your own interpretation, but my goal is to illuminate the human condition through the exploration of conflicted harmony.


TPG:
What is it that inspires you to paint a particular subject?

MC:
You paint what you feel. You don’t choose your subject…your subject chooses you.

TPG:
What artists have influenced you, and how?

MC:
I look at a lot of art and draw from many styles, periods, and philosophies, but not one more than any other. I also draw from many outside subjects, events, and experiences for influence. I look at everything collectively, extract what I like and leave the rest.


TPG:
What do you do for fun (besides painting)?

MC:
You mean there’s something else???

TPG:
What inspires you to create art and how do you keep motivated?

MC:
Right now it’s my muse. Andy Warhol had Edie Sedgwick and now I have my factory girl to inspire me.

TPG:
How have you handled the business side of being an artist?

MC:
Very differently from most other artists I know. It’s almost (but not quite) as important as the work itself. You have to make sure you are seen, that you have a strong presentation, and that you know how to intelligently speak about what you’re doing. I have found that you also have to be selective about the opportunities you pursue because not all will lead you down the path for a career with longevity. You have to know what you want and go after it, making sure you don’t sell out or sell yourself short in the process.

TPG:
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

MC:
The same place-in my studio. I’ll just have more work and a longer/more respected resume. I’m not going anywhere.

TPG:
What are you working on at the moment?

MC:
I have nine large paintings I’m working on simultaneously in my studio right now and I happened to finish the first last night. I generally don’t like a piece when I just finish it (I usually have to distance myself from it for a while), but I was surprised to find that I was very excited about what I turned out. I’m eager to see what happens with the rest.

TPG:
What advice would you give to an artist just starting out?

MC:
Don’t be afraid to be different…Be afraid to be the same.

See more Thumbprint Gallery artists' works available in our online store. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment